With the availability of electric chainsaws, more homeowners and occasional chainsaw users are increasingly shopping for them instead of large gas-powered chainsaws. Electric chainsaws are not only easy to use, they are also quiet and very easy to maintain. They are suitable for the chainsaw user who only requires a chainsaw for light to medium cutting tasks in their yard and may not really need large powerful chainsaws to complete these tasks.
There are two types of electric chainsaws; corded and battery-powered chainsaws. Both types of chainsaws have differentiating features that are unique to their makes and advantages and disadvantages that make them suitable for different chainsaw users.
Corded Electric Chainsaws
Corded electric chainsaws refer electric chainsaws which have special cords that must be plugged into a power outlet to run. Corded electric chainsaws usually have sufficient power for light to medium cutting tasks. They are ideal for most homeowners who only use these chainsaws to cut firewood,trimming and pruning tasks around their yards.
- More Power : Corded electric chainsaws have more power and can perform heavier cutting tasks than battery-powered chainsaws. While most corded chainsaws are designed to cut thick branches and small trees, some corded electric chainsaws models have enough power to cut bigger and tougher trees.
- No Interruptions : As long as the corded electric chainsaw is plugged into a power source, it will run and perform irrespective of how many hours it is kept on. It does not require refueling or recharging and is therefore very convenient. With corded chainsaws, as long as you have power, you can cut for as long as you want.
- Less Expensive : Electric chainsaws are also the cheapest chainsaw models. They are significantly cheaper compared to battery-powered chainsaws which tend to be the most expensive chainsaws in the market.
- Not Very Portable: One of the biggest disadvantages with corded chainsaws is that it tethers you to a limited space. Because it must be plugged into a power source for it to run, it usually limits you to sawing tasks that are no more than 100 feet away from the nearest power source. You cannot use it for cutting tasks that are far or deep in the woods unless you have a portable generator or more extension cords.
- Less Control: The corded electric chainsaw is also disadvantageous in that the extension cords make the chainsaw difficult to control. The power cords tend to get tangled in shrubbery and heavily wooded areas and hence this makes the corded chainsaw sometimes very inconvenient for the operator.
Battery-Powered Electric Chainsaws
Also known as cordless electric chainsaws, these are electric chainsaws which are powered by rechargeable batteries. The batteries are first charged before they are installed in the chainsaws.
- Portable: Unlike the corded chainsaw models, battery-powered chainsaws do not have power cords. This makes them portable and more convenient for light to medium sawing tasks that are far from a power outlet.
- More Control: The lack of a power cord also means that they are easier to operate and control even in heavily wooded areas.
- Reduced Power: Battery-powered chainsaws have significantly less power than corded chainsaws and because of this; they can only be used for light to medium sawing tasks. Even the best and sharpest cordless chainsaw should not be used to cut trees that are more than 9 inches in diameter (for hardwoods) and 12 inches for softwoods. They are therefore only suitable for trimming and pruning trees and limbs in the yard and maybe cutting small trees for firewood.
- Quite Expensive: Battery-powered chainsaws are significantly more expensive than corded chainsaws. Usually, the quality of the battery determines the price of the chainsaw and if the batteries are high quality heavy-duty batteries, the chainsaws become even more expensive. They are therefore not ideal for someone who is operating on a tight budget.
- Batteries Must Be Recharged: One major disadvantage of battery-powered chainsaws is that the batteries usually run for one hour or two after which they run out of charge. This is very inconvenient especially when you have a lot of cutting jobs to complete. You must keep on recharging the batteries after one or two hour intervals. You will also waste a lot of time charging the batteries which also means that you will take longer to complete the sawing job.
- Cost of Replacement: Batteries can only run for so long after which they expire. The cost of replacing the batteries is usually quite expensive. Considering that you will need to do this from time to time, it is actually safe to say that battery-powered chainsaws come with some maintenance costs.
Factors to Consider when Choosing Between Corded and a Battery-powered chainsaw
What tasks do you expect to use the chainsaw for?
If you need a chainsaw for light to medium tasks such as trimming small limbs and cutting small trees and branches for firewood, the battery-powered electric chainsaw may do. However, if you intend to use the chainsaw for heavier cutting tasks, it is better to buy a corded chainsaw because it has more power.
If you require a chainsaw to use for heavy duty cutting jobs, it would be advisable to ditch electric chainsaws altogether and opt for the larger and more powerful gas-powered chainsaws.
Where will you be using the Chainsaw?
If you intend to use the chainsaw for cutting tasks that are far away from your home or far from a power source, your best option will be the battery-powered chainsaw, this is assuming that you will only be undertaking light to medium cutting tasks.
How much are you willing to spend?
If you are operating on a tight budget and are looking for a cheaper option between the two types of chainsaws, you will be better off buying a corded electric chainsaw since it is cheaper but still able to perform many cutting tasks.
Both the battery-powered and the corded electric chainsaws have advantages and limitations that make them unique and suitable for different tasks. So between the two types of electric chainsaw none is better than the other rather; you should buy one that will suit your needs and is also within your budget.